World

US renews calls for talks with North Korea

A US envoy on Monday issued a new call for talks with North Korea, insisting the US has no hostile intentions following rising tensions.

Sung Kim, the United States’ special representative to North Korea, met in Washington with his South Korean counterpart, Noh Kyu-duk, before a three-way meeting on Tuesday with senior Japanese official Takehiro Funakoshi.

“We will seek to diplomatically with the DPRK to make tangible progress that increases the security of the United States and our allies,” Kim said, referring to the North by its official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

“We have no hostile intentions towards the DPRK and we hope to meet them unconditionally,” Kim told reporters.

But he added that the allies had “the responsibility to implement the resolutions of the UN Security Council”, referring to the sanctions that North Korea seeks to see lifted.

Last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un accused the United States of sanctions, rejecting claims by Washington that he had no hostile intentions.

In recent weeks, North Korea has tested a long-range cruise missile, a train-launched weapon, and what it said is a hypersonic warhead.

Kim has met three times with former President Donald Trump, who boasted of having stopped a war but failed to reach a comprehensive deal on ending North Korea’s nuclear program.

President Joe Biden has vowed to continue to seek diplomacy, but with a more low-key approach seeking areas of progress.

sct / jh


Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button